Thursday 20 November 2014

Blog hop - Advent cones


It’s that time of year for the blog hop – and as I prepare my contribution I start feeling excited about what our other bloggers will make – I can’t wait to see.


Here's our Blog Hop line-up:
Monday 18th November: Jo Carter 
Tuesday 19th November: Katy Jones
Wednesday 19th November: Jessie Fincham
Thursday 20th November: Angela Southey
Friday 21st Trudi Wood 
Saturday 22nd November: Mercedes Jiménez Campuzano


... And to celebrate this festive Blog Hop, we have a giveaway with a selection of fantastic dies and the Big Shot™ Machine up for grabs! Click here to enter 
So here’s my contribution – I’ve been thinking for a long time about making an Advent Calendar – but wanted to make something slightly different – this year I had this idea – hope you like it – I know my grandchildren will!
So here they are! 







Advent Cones
You will need about 75 cm of fabric for the circles and about 1.25m of fusible interfacing.
For the numbers you will need about 15cm of contrasting fabric.
You will need 10m of ribbon cut into 20cm lengths ( you will need 48, two for each cone).
I used the Big Shot Pro and die http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/656678/sizzix-bigz-pro-die-circle-6 to cut 24 circles in Christmas fabrics and 24 in fusible interfacing. I fused the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric circles.
I used Tim Holtz Word Play die to cut all the numbers 1 -24 http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657837/sizzix-bigz-xl-alphabet-die-word-play , for the numbers I fused some fusible web to the wrong side of some Michael Miller Fairy Frost fabric and then cut out the following quantity of each number ( remember to lay the fabric RS down to cut out ),  -2 x 0, 13 x 1, 8 x 2, 3 x 3, 3 x4, and 2 each of numbers 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9.
Fold,  the circles in half to create semi-circles, press the fold and then fuse the numbers in place - 


 (as these are only used for a short time I haven't stitched the numbers in place but you can if you want to)
Pin 2 lengths of ribbon to each semi- circle  - and zig-zag stitch around the edge, and across the ribbons.
Overlap the straight edge of the semi circle, by about 4cms/ 1 1/2", to create a cone, pin and straight stitch in place photo 4




Your advent cones are now ready to fill and enjoy, and they are large enough to put more than one chocolate in!!! I have made the ribbons to be tied for hanging so that you can hang them anywhere you like - so if you don't put your Christmas tree up until part way through Christmas you could hang the cones around the house - in a sort of treasure hunt. Have fun.

Angela



1 comment:

  1. thank you for this tutorial. they are not difficult, I think I will do them. marta

    ReplyDelete