Monday 23 June 2014

Frameworks dies as masks for gold flakes




One of my long time always in my craft room product are any type of gold flakes or faux gold leaf. they add a different kind of metallic effect that not card mirri or shiny would ever do. 
One of my favourite products form the latest releases from Mr. Tim Holtz are the Frameworks dies, dies that are perfect for a lot of different technique. And if you know me, you will know that I love techniques. Frameworks dies make wonderful masks, gap cards and templates. Here is one of those techniques.


I die cut first the Frameworks-Chevron die using white textured card. As usual, I put the textured card facing the foam that will make the textured side the front. Then I took a piece of Stix2 double sided sticky sheet and attached it to a plain card to give it some extra stability, though is not necessary. 
I lifted the remain protective sheet and place over it the Chevron (texture side up). I protected the adhesive placing the protective sheet over it.


I placed on to the biz die from the Big Shot Starter kit but any Bigz die with a bold shape will work. Once die cut, I removed the protective sheet and use the left overs from the Chevron die to fill the one area that looked a bit bare. this in itself is another way to do this technique as you will see bellow.


Then I placed the heart with the sticky side up on a plastic container that holds my gold flakes. Using a scrunchy tool (usually sold on its own as a gold flake tool) I made sure that all sticky areas were covered and that any excess was pulled away and back in the container. On the right photo you can see the effect.

As I mentioned, this technique can be used as well with just the off bits like in the card bellow.


And finally a close up of the golden flakes effect bellow.


I think it is a very elegant way to add some metallics to your work, specially if you mix it up with matte and soft colours. I love it and I hope you try this technique soon!

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to try this this technique! The gold flakes are stunning and you can't have too much bling :) Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete