Thursday 24 April 2014

Hexagons are centre stage





Hello, I hope you've all enjoyed the Easter break, - we had a lovely weekend with lots of sun and lots of friends - I hosted a breakfast party on Easter Monday - which meant a really early morning as I baked a variety of breads - and if I had finished this table centre in time it would have looked great. As it is I've just finished it this morning, so I may need to have another party to show it off!!!



As I showed last week all the hexagons were fused in place and then all sides were stitched using a zig-zag stitch. Once layered with backing and wadding I stitched buttons in the middle of each complete hexagon motif, instead of quilting. Finally a double binding was used to finish the raw edges.
This could be made larger by making more motifs, or using a larger hexagon, which will be available in the middle of May -
1 1/2" side - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/659984/sizzix-bigz-die-hexagons-1-1-2-sides
1 3/4" side - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/659985/sizzix-bigz-die-hexagon-1-3-4-sides
2" sides - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/659986/sizzix-bigz-die-hexagon-2-sides
or even 2 1/4" sides - http://www.sizzix.co.uk/product/657885/sizzix-bigz-die-hexagon-2-1-4-sides
or you could turn it into place mats by making it  fewer motifs.
(Which reminds me that the Quilts UK Quilt show, at the Three Counties Showground, is only 3 weeks away - 15th - 18th May - I'll be there demonstrating the Big Shot and Dies with Cotton Patch and Lynne Goldsworthy will be demonstrating on Lady Sew and Sews stand. Come and say hello.)

I'm just thinking it might be fun to make a set for the patio table - but that I think will stay just a nice idea, for the moment anyway!
I used themed colours for the table centre, but you could dip into that scrap bag and make a fantastic scrap centre piece, the fun is in the choosing!!
As the hexagons are fused into place it does mean that this is stiffer and so doesn't drape well, so it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use this method to make a larger item like a quilt.
Hope you like this easy way to use hexagons. I have no idea what I'll be making next week - so you'll have to log on to find out. Meanwhile keep sewing.
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment