Thursday 12 September 2013

Oodles of Triangles



Before I begin on triangles - I am happy to announce the arrival of my grand daughter, Oona Rose, on Monday evening at 10.50pm. Of course I think she's beautiful, not wrinkled and sleeps peacefully in Grandma's arms - now I really must complete that quilt for her!
So back to Triangles - I never thought they would become such a favourite of mine - but then I never used to have a Big Shot machine and the Bigz dies to cut them!
At the weekend I was in Helsinki teaching workshops for Sinelli

 - a really lovely shop, a little outside Helsinki, full of almost everything you could wish for as a crafter! It was a good job I was working most of the time, otherwise I'm sure my suitcase would have been overweight and I would be starting several new hobbies ( I did  manage to buy some lovely Christmas fabrics and a few other fabrics).
So back to the point - there was an exhibition of quilts by Ritva Ljungquist - a lovely Finnish lady, who allowed me to photograph some of her quilts to share on this blog.
 I just love the variety of patterns that she has created from using just triangles
 
 
I've added a close up so that you can clearly see that the blocks are made just usings triangles - so get out your Big Shot machine and Bigz dies - 657613 and 657611 ( 4" and 2" finished 1/2 square triangles)
and start cutting - you can use some of those delicious small bits from your scrap bag - selecting a mixture of light and dark, or you can splash out on new fabric for a colour themed quilt.
I suggest you cut a selection of different fabrics and then lay them out to make sure that you have a balance of dark and light and then start sewing.
I'll just add another few photos to whet your appetite -

I hope that inspires you to start cutting and sewing lots of lovely triangles.
I loved my brief visit to Finland, meeting quilters, working for Sinelli and the beautiful views I saw of Helsinki. I think it may have to be a holiday destination soon!
Now I'm off to sew some of those Cuddly Creatures onto the quilt for my grand daughter.
Enjoy your week.
Angela
 

No comments:

Post a Comment