Thursday 4 July 2013

Jelly roll joy



I have been trying very hard to use up some of my stash of fabric - because I really have no more space to put any more, but there has been a section of fabrics that I have been reluctant to touch - my Jelly Rolls!


I love them - they are so lovely when they are in their roll and it seems a shame to disturb them - but I also worry about fraying and stretching when I'm using them. Now this is frustrating as there are also a number of good books about using Jelly Rolls.
The solution for me is at hand - my Big Shot machine and bigz dies.
As the strips are 2 1/2" wide they will fit on some of the dies exactly - the square 657607, half-square triangles 657611, rectangle 657605, and trapezoid 657615.
Concertina fold the fabric over the blades of the die as usual
With die 657611 you can even lay 2 strips on at a time

As the fabric is held in place by the cutting plates there is no stretching and as you know I love how quickly I can cut enough shapes for a whole quilt.
 
Just a few of the strips  but I'll soon be ready to sew.
With, or without, the aid of one of the Jelly Roll quilt books this quilt will soon be pieced.
Will it be done by next week? I shouldn't think so - I am looking after my grand-daughters for the weekend.
I am quite pleased though - because now it is started it has moved up the list of things to be made ( and as it is a going to be a present for a friend that has to be good news).
So I hope you're all going to be inspired to get those Jelly Rolls undone and made - maybe even before Festival of Quilts - it's only about 5 weeks away!!
Happy sewing,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment