Thursday 16 May 2013

Backing the quilt



At last we are at the backing stage -now I could say I wanted to make my quilt backing more attractive, but the fact is that I measured the fabric incorrectly and ended up with the backing about 2" too short! How frustrating, but not a major problem!
I chose 5 fabrics from those used on the front of the quilt and used die 657609 and the Big Shot to cut 10 x 4 1/2" squares. I then cut the backing fabric in half across the width.
I joined the squares together and used the pieced strip to join my 2 pieces of backing fabric together!
Problem solved!!
(The actual size of fabric you need for this quilt is 44" x 60" if you're using one piece.)
I taped the backing Right Side down to the floor
 
On top of this I laid a piece of wadding ( 45" x 60") and smoothed this out.
On top of the wadding I laid the quilt top right side up.
Starting from the middle I smoothed and pinned the quilt to the wadding and backing.

 
 
As you may notice I didn't re-arrange the blocks - because I realised it would mean that I would have to take the whole top apart!
 
Now the next question is how to quilt it? I am quite a fan of stitching in the ditch because I don't want to detract from the patterns made - so i think I'll stitch around each block, and then see if I want to be creative on the sashing.
Also next week I'll add the binding to complete the quilt!
I hope you've enjoyed this series, and that maybe you could post some photos on our Face book page.
 
I'm at the Malvern Show ground for the rest of this week demonstrating the Big Shot and Dies alongside Cottonpatch, and here we are all set to go
 -  do come and say hello if you're at the show.
Have fun.
Bye for now,
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment