Thursday 7 March 2013

Mum's the word



Last week's blog was entitled 'Keep it Simple', this week I'm keeping it even simpler! I have chosen a classic colour combination of black, white and pink with a dash of silver thrown in for good measure. Again I'm using some of the Thinlits from the Echo Park collection.

When you choose simple block colours as I have and a hand full of dies the next challenge is the composition. I usually cut out the elements and move them round the page until I find a pleasing arrangement.

This card is not really my cup of tea, but I'm not making it for me. There is a lady however who will love it, whose mantle piece it will grace for the next couple of weeks.

You can see the dies and card below and you will notice that two of them have paper inside them, this is standard kitchen greaseproof or wax paper as it is sometimes called. With the more complex Thinlits designs it is sometimes fiddly to remove the die cuts, this is the price we pay for that delicious detail.

When I make my first cut I place a sheet of greaseproof paper between the die and the card, the greaseproof remains embedded in the die and makes removing the die cut shape so much easier.

For more details, it is really well explained on the Tubo blog site by my good friend Patricia and here is a link.


The only thing used apart from the dies and card was adhesive and a few gems, The phrases were created on my PC and, as we are no doubt familiar, one of the advantages of Thinlits/Framelits is that you can place them over a stamped or printed phrase and cut with perfect precision. If when creating the phrase on screen you have your document at 100% you can literally hold your die against the screen to make sure it fits before printing.It's a great way to make your papercraft projects bespoke and personal.


No comments:

Post a Comment