Wednesday 23 January 2013

Splash of Colour



It's seems that most of the UK and Europe shivers beneath a blanket of snow and ice, I could create something appropriate and seasonal but I thought it might be better to introduce a splash of Summer colours to cheer us all up.

In a couple of days I am off to the Creativeworld Trade show in Frankfurt, Germany and this is one of several projects I created for Rayher at whose stand I will be demonstrating a range of Sizzix products and techniques.

For this project I used the following dies from The Botanical Sanctuary range by Scrappy Cat:

  • Sizzlit L Die - Butterfly by Scrappy Cat (658062)
  • Sizzlit L Die - Flowers Climbing on Vine by Scrappy Cat (658066)
  • Sizzlits 3 Die set - Butterfly Set #3 by Scrappy Cat (658068)
  • Sizzlits 3 Die set - Sunrise Blossoms by Scrappy Cat (658070)


Rather than cut coloured card or patterned paper I am using my favourite heavy weight white card from Inspire Me Papers. I use the Sizzlit to cut a full shape and just the flower heads.


Using various shades of distress inks (most dye inks will do) and an applicator I colour the foliage starting with the lightest colour (Mustard Seed) and finishing with the deepest (Faded Denim).



Next, I like to use a Mister to give a gentle blotchy effect which I enhance by blotting the die cut with Tissue paper. From the second die cut, cut away both flower heads and apply the colours of your choice to each. Mount the flower heads and foliage together before sealing with Spray and Sparkle varnish from Crafter's Companion.



Use the same techniques to create a number of colourful die cut flowers and butterflies.



Finally, attach each one to a simple garland made of twigs which is available from a number of shops which supply home décor dress items. Now all you have to do is sit back and dream of warmer days to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment