Saturday 10 November 2012

Playing with Paint


Lately I have been experimenting with different inks and mists. I really like how this butterfly turned out.

First I mixed some acrylic paints together: green and light blue. I brushed that randomly on Strathmore smooth bristol paper. Watercolor paper would work great too. Then I took a piece of bubble wrap and dipped it in white paint and dabbed it over the painted area. Finally I sprayed some Shimmerz mist over all of it.

I was pretty happy just looking at the painted piece of paper! But then I started wondering how it would look if I die cut it. There is a quote I like that related to butterflies so I used my Sizzix ScoreBoard Butterfly die to cut it out.

ScoreBoards dies are really versatile because they cut and score thick material but they also cut paper. (They won't score paper though because the scoring blades are set higher up in the die and won't reach the paper.) But it just takes a couple of seconds to score the paper by hand.
 
I printed the saying on the computer and trimmed to fit inside a thrift store frame and then added some freehand butterfly tracks with a brown pen.
 



 I think this technique would work great on a canvas, scrapbook layout, home decor projects, cards and would make a nice gift too.
I encourage you to give this a whirl- it's so much fun and very freeing. Thanks for stopping by everyone- see you in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment